Monday, December 1, 2008

labels

All my life people have been trying to label me. 


First by my tribe, then by the economic status into which I was born and by the color of my skin. 


Labels have been put on me based on the country in which I grew up, the schools I went to, the jobs I have had, the things I have achieved and by my monumental failures. 


Mukiga, poor, black, Ugandan, educated, full of potential, programmer, advocate, director, immigrant, visible minority, lacking in canadian experience, brash, loud, insensitive, driven, relentless, ambitious, worship leader, pastor, musician


On one hand the labels I have received have allowed me to see myself in a positive light through the eyes of those that would assign the label and yet on the other hand, I become very aware of the limitations that are placed on me by those who would seek to label me. 


I am also very aware of the fact that I have imposed labels on myself. 


Even though we may parrot the fact that we are not defined by the labels that are assigned to us, the truth of the matter is that many of us, like myself, have allowed our identity and character to be shaped by the labels that we receive from other people, or the ones that we create ourselves. 


It is incredible to see how one person can assign a derogatory label to the same individual that another person has assigned an affirming label. And even though we may try to ignore the labels that bring us down, their negative influence on our life can be extremely hard to shake. 


And so the more we allow our identities to be defined by external labels, the more the labels become powerful, self-fulfilling prophecies - the cycle of which we may sometimes feel powerless to break out of. 


When Jesus came and poured out his life in an undeniable demonstration of love, he proved that God saw us differently than we could ever see ourselves. 


God sees enormous potential in people that society has discarded and labeled as useless. 


God saw incredible worth in each one of us that he spared no expense to save us


God’s word of affirmation to each one of us is a clear picture of how he sees us and how we should identify ourselves - not as people bound by the constraints, ideas and labels that the world places on us, but as a people for whom nothing is impossible through Christ who strengthens us. 


This morning, therefore, as we stand before the Lord in worship, let us trade any label that we may have... any label that has been assigned to us, by others or by ourselves, that is not from God. Any characterization that we have intertwined with our identity that causes us to see ourselves as less than the truly precious person that God sees. 


Let us turn a corner in our worship this morning and allow the truth of our identity in Christ to become our primary identity and not a secondary identity that would be nice to have, but we really cannot accept. 


Let us make this time more than just a song, but an acceptance of the righteousness, sanctification, and salvation that is made possible only through Jesus 


Let us approach God’s throne boldly - as his precious children grafted into his family and standing in our identity as joint heirs in His kingdom. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Woodvale had a blog as I find blogging very refreshing……..

Pastor Paulo, your ‘label’ piece left me speechless! I am glad that I stumbled upon this while browsing, as it gave me a chance to take a second look. I am even happier that I read it to the end as I am naturally a writer and not a reader.

I have been trying to make sense of so many things in my life, and then I heard your piece on Sunday, and to complete it, was the preaching on HOPE.

Everything made sense after that, at that point, I knew that I could not let the ‘labels’ people placed on me or that I placed on myself determine what my outcome in life would be. I think a lot, and so it is very easy to start believing certain things people say, especially if it is continuously – you think maybe you are really what they say you are. Though it’s a struggle, as sometimes you wish to stay on your own, where perhaps noone will see you and place those ‘labels’. However, you start to realize that regardless of what you do in life, you are going to be ‘labeled’ – sometimes positive and sometimes negative.

So,

I could sit, think, or sob about the horrible labels or I could rise up and push forward. In the end - the choice is mine!

BTW my best part was - “…….And so the more we allow our identities to be defined by external labels, the more the labels become powerful, self-fulfilling prophecies - the cycle of which we may sometimes feel powerless to break out of……”

A remarkable piece - Thank you for that!

Ayebare said...

i do not know that any of the other pastors have a blog... This, though, is one that I (Pastor Paulo) started so that I could share thoughts and musings about the worship ministry specifically and so you will find that the majority of the posts here have to do with worship and understanding it better.

Ayebare said...

One more thing...

I am glad that the reading on sunday morning was meaningful to you. I felt really inspired to write it at about 8.00 on sunday morning and my sense was that God had a special liberating word for his people.

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart, and I pray that the Holy Spirit continues to inspire you so that you can continue to inspire the rest of us. AMEN!

P/S: I have noted that the blog was started by you and you ONLY:-), and have added it to my favorites as I intend to visit often.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this stirring with us! I'm amazed at how many labels get at us, torment us at times, not only when they are negative labels, but trying to achieve a positive high expecation - that can be tormenting too!

I was reading Psalm 116 this week, and one particular line was magnified, "I believed; therefore I said ..." While the scripture is often interpreted to mean the psalmist believed in the Lord, therefore, he spoke, I found it to stand on it's own - that I speak from what I believe. Do I speak from what I believe? Does my speech relay what I believe? I can say yes to both questions, but not always! Please Lord, remind me...remind us of our belief in You - that all torment from external observation pales - that we may honour you more and more!

Blessings, Mary Pat